jueves, 10 de junio de 2010

Om Namo Guru - Buddha Gyani - Palden Dorje

Praise to Om Namo Guru Buddha Gyani (otherwise known as Palden Dorje, Tamang Tulku Rimpoche or Ram Bahadur Bomjon)
who is now in his fifth year of meditation in the jungle of Bara District in Nepal.The blessed Guru was born on the 9th of April, 1990 in the village of Ratanpuri, Bara District not far from Lumbini, the birthplace of the great Buddha Shakyamuni.

Birth Place of Palden Dorje

Birth House of Palden Dorje

He was born a Tamang, descendant of the Tamang Lamas who were renowned for their ability to go for long periods without food while receiving their prana through the practice of meditation. Legend has it that the Tamang lamas could fly and talk to trees, animals and birds. The lamas would befriend wild animals such as tigers, lions, bears and snakes and remain unharmed by them .Blessings be bestowed upon Maya Devi Tamang, mother of Tamang Tulku Rimpoche, Ram Bahadur Bomjon. She has been the means of making the people of Nepal and of the world fortunate to witness the birth of such an incarnation as only occurs once in thousands of years.

Father and mother of Palden Dorje


Family and Childhood

Back to Top

Guru’s parents are farmers. His mother, Maya Devi was married at 12. She had 5 sons and 4 daughters. Guru was her third son. When she was in her pregnancy, she found she was unable to eat meat without becoming ill. Guru, whom she named Ram, would not eat meat. He would leave the house for long intervals from an early age. Guru was always pleased to see a lama or a holy person and fastidiously imitated them. He often seemed to be lost in thought and spoke little. Whenever someone spoke to him, he would reply with a smile and would treat people of all ages equally.

Room of Palden Dorje


Room of Palden Dorje

Room of Palden Dorje

School and Religious Education

Back to Top

He took his studies seriously and rarely played with other children, choosing instead to remain alone. Guru refused to fight, and was always calm. He spent his time reading scriptures, meditating and worshipping the pipal tree which seemed to bring him joy. Seeing this behavior, Guru’s father sent him to study the scriptures of Lama Chhyoi with Samden Lama in their village. After that Guru decided to embrace a religious life. He was taken to be educated by Som Bahadur Lama who lived at Sudha.

Guru Som Bahadur Lama

Som Bahadur Lama said the following of his word: “He was obedient. He never said ‘no’ to my word. He was friendly and sociable and he received education in that manner. He used to say frequently that his attention was much more drawn towards meditation than towards reading books.” He was granted the initiation of “Panchasheel.” Panchasheel is a Sanskrit word for a Buddhist initiation consisting of five vows, which are as follows:
1. One must not kill animals (it is preferable to be vegetarian).
2. One must not steal.
3. One must not lie.
4. One must not think negatively about others.
5. One must not take intoxicating substances.

Guru was initiated along with a group of nine other students. Guru refused to have his hair cut before the initiation, which was the common custom. It was after this initiation that Guru received the name, “Palden Dorje.”
It was the custom for the initiates to meditate for up to a month in a cave. Som Bahadur Lama was surprised at the ease with which Guru seemed to adapt to the situation requiring little sustenance. It was then that he realized that the boy had a natural talent for deep and prolonged meditation. After completing his Buddhist education for two years, all nine initiates went to Lumbini, the birthplace of Lord Buddha, for sightseeing. Palden Dorje seemed utterly taken by this place and it seemed to deepen his religious resolve. The other eight initiates returned but he refused to return. Instead, he went to Dehradun to further his religious education with the Gurus of Dehradun and later returned to the beautiful lakeside city of Pokhara.


Back to Top

Here it was that Guru became ill, and was unable to move his lower body. Distressed, his teachers sent him home to recover. During this time, Guru implored his family not to sacrifice any animals or take any alcohol otherwise further complications would arise. He got better, but was still limping when he disappeared from his home the night of May 16, 2005.

Guru Disappears

When his mother became aware of the situation, she alerted the village, and everyone joined in the search for him. A local boy claimed to have seen him while he was shaking a mango tree. Guru had come up and picked up a mango, and stepped fully clothed into the river. “I thought you had disappeared,” the boy remarked to Guru.
“Have I?” Guru replied. “You’d better go home, and be careful not to touch me.” The boy ran home to tell his story, but nobody believed him at first. Guru’s relatives went to the ravine. Guru smiled at them when they found him as was his habit. They told him to come home. “I’ll go home at four o’clock .” Guru said. His family decided it would be wise to keep an eye on him, and so some of his siblings stayed with him. At four o’clock, he picked up a couple of mangoes and began to eat one. He told his little brother to bring him water, rice, his lama robes, a rosary and a picture of Buddha. His little brother obeyed. Guru’s sister came to tell Guru to come home at once. Seeing how emaciated he looked from his previous illness, she cried and begged him to come home. Guru told her to stop crying, and she went home.

This was a first place where he start his meditation

Meditation Begins

Back to Top

Then Guru, sitting in a meditative posture seemed to go into a trance. He began to ask himself questions and answer them out loud. The other villagers came and told Guru to stop being silly and come home. They feared he must be ill or crazy. When Guru’s older brother touched him, Guru’s body became exceedingly hot and turned red. “Please leave me alone, or one of us may die.” Guru said. “If anyone disturbs me or my things at midnight, I will have to meditate for 20 years, but if all goes well, I will meditate for 6 years.” Then Guru, followed by his brother, and at a distance by the villagers set out to find a good meditation place in the forest. His parents insisted he take some food and water with him. Finally, he reached his destination at 11:00 AM on May 18, 2005. This was the day the villagers of Ratanpuri celebrated Buddha Jayanti.

First tree

He settled himself under a pipal tree, having offered 10 kinds of fruit to the picture of Buddha. About 30 villagers saw where Guru was meditating, and they left an offering of over a thousand rupees as was the custom at Buddha Jayanti. On that night at 12:00, some pranksters came to disturb Guru and steal the offering. They quarreled over the money, and later accused each other later in front of the villagers. Having confessed, they asked Guru’s forgiveness. So Guru left the first meditation place and went north on the 24th of May, 2005. At that time he gave six pipal leaves to his second elder brother telling him to keep them in oil. He said that as long as his family kept the leaves, all would be well. His relatives cried when he left.Again the villagers were concerned about Guru’s whereabouts, and in the late afternoon, a cowherd had seen him in his new meditation site. The villagers sent some of his family to go and bring him home. But Guru refused and moved to another pipal tree in the east.

Second Tree

Guru told his family that he must continue to meditate at all costs. He drew a boundary around his meditation area, and the villagers and his relatives built a fence for him. More and more crowds gathered at the site, so Guru ordered that a hut be built and sealed with plastic on all sides wherein he remained for 15 days. After that Guru said, “I have received some energy so that I may now meditate under a tree outside. There was a terrible drought in the village. Guru told them to pray to a snake god and after 5 days, it started raining. In the 75th day of meditation, he opened the eyes and asked his elder brother to call him by the words "Om Namo Buddha Gyani". He returned to his meditation. Since that day he was addressed as "Om Namo Buddha Gyani" (Salute to the one who knows Buddha.) On August 18, 2005, Guru called together his friends who were lamas. They asked him how it was that Guru was surviving without water. Guru replied that two snake gods protected him from either side. That day Guru also changed his clothes and wore a white cloth called Ngag.


Sheshha Naga and the Snakebite

Back to Top

On November 6, 2005 The snake god Sheshha Naga granted Guru an audience that Guru might achieve the level of a Bodhisattva. Shessha Naga then bit Guru, and Guru’s body was poisoned. Guru sweated more than two liters while he continued to meditate, and thus he overcame the poison. Guru’s followers believe that on that day he was enlightened, for the Bodhisattva has the ability to survive attached to a tree, soil and stone, to digest snake poison, to be unaffected by the wind and to understand the language of all creatures. On November 8, 2005, Guru told the people that he did not have the energy of a Buddha, and he asked them not to publicize him as an incarnation of Buddha. On November 11, 2005 a bright light appeared shining from Guru’s head. His followers cried with joy and became even more fervent. “Leave me in peace, and there will soon be peace in the country,” Guru said. However crowds ever increased and people chanted and set up a market place, according to Radio HBC 94 FM who visited the site on December 10, 2005. The crowds were kept at a distance of about 50 meters. All witnesses claimed that Guru neither ate, drank or left to relieve himself. He just sat and meditated under the pipal tree. Baffled onlookers were ever increasing. There were stories of miracles: a girl and a young man had gained the power of speech although they could not speak.

Speechless girl

The Underground Meditation





Disappearance of Guru

Back to Top

On March 11, 2006 Guru disappeared from the site leaving his clothes behind. At first everyone feared he had been abducted. However he was found on December 25, 2006. “There was no peace.” Guru said. “I have been wondering in the forests since then. I am engaged in devotion which will continue for 6 years.” After returning to his meditation site for a couple of months, he again disappeared on the 11th of March, 2007. Two weeks later he was found again. He asked his followers to build him a meditation area underground. He meditated there for 3 months before resurfacing to make a speech. Since then, Guru has continued to meditate and is now in his fifth year. He gave audience and blessed his devotees with a vajra toward the end of October 2007.
Here are some memorable pictures




















A chorten has also been completed under his direction near his present meditation site in February of 2008. This was made in thanks for the siddhis that Guru received.













Especial thanks to Mr Singha bahadur and LTJ

No hay comentarios: